Tuesday, December 10, 2013

Little Christmas Tree Craft

Happy December!

I know, I know...it's already 10 whole days into the month and I'm just getting around to a December greeting. I have a great excuse for being MIA these past few weeks, though. Thanksgiving. My mom and dad visiting from Montana. School. Four kiddles. Life.

I'm telling you, I'm a fantastic blogger! I write out all sorts of blog posts in my head. All day long I'm telling myself, "Hey, I should blog about this..." It's just the sitting down and actually typing my thoughts out that I'm not so good at. I'm here to remedy that today with a sweet Christmas tree craft that is great for preschoolers and still fun enough for your bigger kids!


These little Christmas trees are just the sweetest and can be made with any old crafting supplies you have laying around your house. We used small pom poms and glitter to decorate our trees. I was looking for the loads of Christmas confetti that I am sure are hanging out somewhere in the depths of my craft drawers, but came up empty...those would be fun to glue on the trees as ornaments as well. What I love about this art project is the simplicity. A few shapes, some color, a dabble of glue and glitter and let your creativity do the rest. For the littles, this is a great craft for shape and color recognition, instruction following, fine motor skills development, and early cutting skills. We also threw in some math with the counting out of the pom poms. Even though Emma (8) has mastered all of these concepts, she still had fun creating a pretty Christmas tree to hang on the wall!

What you need:

white paper
crayons, markers, Do-A-Dots
scissors
glue
glitter
decorations...pom poms, stickers, beads, confetti...
construction paper or card stock in your choice of color

Start out by drawing three triangles and a rectangle on a piece of paper. Have your children color them in any way they like. We used Do-A-Dots...Edward (2) really enjoys getting creative with these!


Next, have your children cut out the shapes. I helped Edward, but the rest of the children did a great job on their own. Straight lines are a great place to start for beginning cutters!

Then, glue your cut out shapes onto a separate sheet of paper. We glued the rectangle down first, then stacked the three triangles on top.



Finish these festive little trees by gluing on your choice of 'ornaments'. And please use glitter! Kids LOVE glitter! Tables can always be wiped down, hands can always be washed, and floors can always be vacuumed....get out that glitter and go crazy!


I can always tell the success of an art project by the mess left behind. I'd say the kids enjoyed themselves this morning.

Edward lost interest after the Do-A-Dotting, but had fun popping poms poms all around the dining room.

Happy Tuesday everyone! I'll be back later in the week with an easy beginner's crochet tutorial!

2 comments:

  1. I pinned this! Thanks for the idea. This is perfect!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My pleasure, sweet mama! Have fun getting your craft on!

      Delete