Monday, October 21, 2013

Simple DIY Lego Party Ideas

My first born son, Elijah, just turned 4! To celebrate, we had a small family party with some simple decorations. The theme was his current obsession: Lego.



We love to celebrate birthdays! We usually celebrate all week long. My husband has a really hard time hanging on to birthday gifts, so we end up giving them early. Then, we do our special traditions on their actual birthday. We'll go over to my husband's parent's house usually the weekend before or after their actual birthday and do a family celebration with cousins, aunts, uncles, and of course Grandpa and Grandma. My family lives in Montana, so it's a another whole hoopla when gifts and cards come from Nanny and Papa and Auntie Jessie and Uncle Stephen...and a special time when cards come from extended family! Seriously, I feel like singing "Celebrate good times, come on!" for a week when it's birthday time!

With all of that being said, I am a super minimalist when it comes to the party. We don't do party favors or much decor. Really, we just make the day special for the birthday child. They get to choose the food and dessert...it's a celebration of them as a person, and the precious blessing they are to all around them.

I am in NO WAY saying that big, fun birthday celebrations with lots of decorations and games and favors aren't celebrating the child as a person as well. It's just not my style. I try to be a 'keep it simple' person. Also, my organization skills are seriously lacking!


Alrighty! Now on to some easy, and I mean EASY, DIY Lego decorations and ideas! First off are these super cute Lego Minifig balloons. They turned out so much cuter than I even thought they would! I blew up a bunch of yellow balloons and drew Lego Minifig faces on them with a black Sharpie marker. Bada bing, bada boom.
What was really fun with these is, as I was blowing them up and drawing, all of the kids came in and they started blowing up balloons and drawing Minifigure faces on them too. And then they played and played and played with them until they popped! Ha!

I used the same idea for these yellow cups. I just chose a Minifig face that I liked (and was pretty simple to replicate) and drew it on with black Sharpie. Simple, cute, and Lego!

Now on to the cake. The piece de resistance. Elijah asked for a 'chocolate cake with chocolate frosting and chocolate in the middle cuz I yike chocolate!" Boy after my own heart!

I used the Hershey's Perfectly Chocolate Cake and frosting recipe (to follow) and made my own chocolate Lego Minifigs for decorations.

We found this awesome ice cube mold at the Lego store on our last trip there, and the first thing I thought of when I saw it was: Lego chocolates!!!

 
Because this tray is silicone, the chocolates just pop right out with no hassle at all! These trays can be found at the Lego store or at Lego.com.

So much chocolatey goodness!!! Elijah was pleased!


Happy birthday to you, my sweet 4 year old boy! You bring so much love and laughter into our home! I am so thankful God chose for me to be your mommy!

Hershey's "Perfectly Chocolate" Chocolate Cake

  • 2 cups sugar
  • 1-3/4 cups all-purpose flour
  • 3/4 cup HERSHEY'S Cocoa
  • 1-1/2 teaspoons baking powder
  • 1-1/2 teaspoons baking soda
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • 2 eggs
  • 1 cup milk
  • 1/2 cup vegetable oil ( I used butter )
  • 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
  • 1 cup boiling water

 

1. Heat oven to 350°F. Grease and flour two 9-inch round baking pans.

2. Stir together sugar, flour, cocoa, baking powder, baking soda and salt in large bowl. Add eggs, milk, oil and vanilla; beat on medium speed of mixer 2 minutes. Stir in boiling water (batter will be thin). Pour batter into prepared pans.
3. Bake 30 to 35 minutes or until wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool 10 minutes; remove from pans to wire racks. Cool completely. Frost with "PERFECTLY CHOCOLATE" CHOCOLATE FROSTING. 
10 to 12 servings.

ONE-PAN CAKE: Grease and flour 13x9x2-inch baking pan. Heat oven to 350° F. Pour batter into prepared pan. Bake 35 to 40 minutes. Cool completely. Frost.

Hershey's "Perfectly Chocolate" Chocolate Frosting

1/2 cup (1 stick) butter or margarine
2/3 cup HERSHEY'S Cocoa
3 cups powdered sugar
1/3 cup milk
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
Melt butter. Stir in cocoa. Alternately add powdered sugar and milk, beating to spreading consistency.
Add small amount additional milk, if needed. Stir in vanilla. About 2 cups frosting.

Blessings!!
 

No comments:

Post a Comment