Tuesday, October 29, 2013

Roast Tri-Tip {crock pot recipe}

Hello friends!

With the onset of chilly weather, I have been in the mood for warm and hearty meals. And I ALWAYS love when I can get more than one meal out of something. Roast is perfect for that! My husband recently discovered tri-tip roasts at our neighborhood Trader Joe's (seriously, we live there), and since then I can't get enough of it! It's relatively inexpensive. We get an almost 5 pound roast for about $20...that's a good price, right?

Well, I certainly think it is...plus, I'll be getting at least 3 dinners out of this one roast. Bada bing! That's what I love, right there!

Today, I will share with you the way I initially cook a tri-tip roast. I always cook my roasts in my crock pot...that's what my mother always did and does, so that's what I do. It's pretty much fool proof! And I don't know about you, but when I spend $20 on one package of meat, I want to make sure it's not going to get messed up in the cooking process.

Tri-Tip Roast and Yorkshire Pudding

4 or 5 pound tri-tip roast
1 large onion, quartered
4 large carrots, cut into thick sticks
1/4 C beef stock
salt
pepper
Italian seasoning
garlic powder

Place the onions and carrots in the bottom of a standard sized crock pot. Sprinkle with your choice of seasonings. I usually season the vegetables in the same manner as the roast. In this case: salt, pepper, Italian seasoning, and garlic powder.  Season the roast on both sides with your seasonings. I never measure the this part...I just kind of eyeball it. Make sure to rub the seasonings into the meat on each side. Place the roast in the crock pot, fat side up, on top of the vegetables and pour the beef stock over it. Put the lid on the crock pot and cook on low for about 4 hours, then turn it up to high for about 2 1/2-3 hours. I checked my roast after 2 1/2 hours on high and it was done. Then I turned it off and let it sit in the pot for about 1/2 an hour or so.

The vegetables.

The roast.

The end result!


I love serving roast with Yorkshire pudding. Now, if you've never had Yorkshire pudding before, beware, it's not actually pudding at all. It's sort of a dense bread and goes really well with roast...and gravy!

Yorkshire Pudding

4 eggs
2 Cups flour
2 Cups milk
1 tsp. salt
1/4 Cup drippings from the roast (just swipe some from the bottom of the crock pot)

Heat oven to 400*. Grease a 9x13 pan and then add drippings. Beat eggs on low for 30 seconds. Add milk and beat for 30 seconds more. Add the flour and salt and beat until completely smooth, about 2 minutes. Pour batter over drippings in the pan. Bake 35-40 minutes.


The pudding forms these fun peaks in the middle...the most desirable pieces (in my opinion!). Now, let's plate it up!


And there you have it! A delicious roast served with carrots and onions, Yorkshire Pudding, and a nice green salad. A bit of horseradish sauce is always delightful as well. Oh, and make your favorite gravy to go along with it. HERE is a great recipe for an easy beef gravy using the drippings from your roast. I followed the recipe using flour, and it turned out perfectly! :)

My kids gobbled this meal up! That shows me this recipe is definitely a keeper...in our house at least!

Stay tuned this week for TWO more recipes you can make with this ONE roast!

Blessings!

No comments:

Post a Comment