Thursday, October 17, 2013

Books We Love



  I started a series last year called "Books to Look For" and only ended up writing one post in that series. Books and reading are very near and dear to our hearts, and so I am purposing now to keep up in sharing with you all books that we really love! So, I am restarting my book series and entitling it "Books We Love". I will share many different types of books ranging from books for little ones all the way up through to books my husband and I enjoy reading.

First up is A Child's Garden of Verses by Robert Louis Stevenson
Illustrated by Jessie Willcox Smith


My husband brought this book home from the thrift store one day. As I sat looking through it, reading the sweet little poems throughout it, I knew this would be a favorite in our family. It's a book we sometimes forget about, but when we rediscover it on our bookshelf, it's like an old friend has come to pay us a visit. A Child's Garden of Verses is full of sweet, silly, brave, and sleepy poems and is a fantastic way to build a love for poetry in your little ones. A few of our favorite selections are: Bed In Summer, Whole Duty of Children, and Marching Song. This book is a treasure.

Goody O'Grumpity by Carol Ryrie Brink
Illustrated by Ashley Wolff


A sweet, rhyming story of Goody O'Grumpity and the creation of her marvelous Spice Cake. *Beware* This book makes you really hungry...you can almost smell the spices in the air! The illustrations are beautiful and the reading has a lovely, lilting quality. The best part: a recipe for Goody O'Grumpity's Spice Cake is included at the back of the book! We made it one time and it is so good!!!

"A reader lives a thousand lives before he dies. The man who never reads lives only one." George R. R. Martin

Blessings!

No comments:

Post a Comment