Wednesday, April 10, 2013

Imitating Artists

A few weeks ago, Renee over at Beyond the Land of Never Ending Laundry shared THIS POST about creating art by imitating artists with your children. So, I thought I would give it a go with mine! The end result is really very amazing...but I think my kids are amazing, so I'm biased. :)

I started by choosing my favorite artist, Vincent Van Gogh, and giving the children a brief overview of his life and work. We have an amazing art book* (click HERE to check it out on Amazon.com), so we thumbed through the post impressionist chapter and took a look at some of Van Gogh's works along with some of his contemporaries. This all took about 5 minutes, tops. I wasn't going for an in depth biography or explanation of his techniques or anything. I just wanted to familiarize them a bit with his paintings. Then, we chose which painting to imitate. Starry Night, of course.

After talking a bit about the painting, pointing out different features and letting the children tell me about it, they got to work!




All three of them took this project very seriously. Even Elijah! Usually he only lasts 2 minutes with the painting. But he sat there for a long while, swirling his brush all over the paper. It was fantastic! Such fun to watch! Here are the end results!


Emma's version of Starry Night

Sophia's version of Starry Night

Elijah's version of Starry Night
It was truly amazing to me that in all three of the children's finished pictures I could see elements of the original painting. Just beautiful!

This is a fun and quick project to do with children from preschool age and up. Like I said, Elijah (3 years) was very focused and serious about his work...he loved looking at the book and trying to do the same things he saw there. We will do this again for sure! I think we'll go a little more impressionist and try our hand at Monet. :)

I hope you all are enjoying the nice weather that seems to be permeating the country! :)

*The book Art: Over 2,500 Works from Cave to Contemporary is a fantastic resource for our homeschool. There are, however, some pieces of art in the book that are unsuitable for young children; nudes and such. We use this resource with great care, and only allow them to look at it with us.

1 comment:

  1. Loving this!!!! You have some amazing little artist on your hands :-)

    ReplyDelete