Monday, March 4, 2013

Welcome Spring Rag Wreath

Spring is springing away in our neck of the woods! I know the official first day of Spring is March 20, but all of the lovely fruit trees are a-blossoming, the weather is warming, and we're opening the windows and shaking off the winter blues.

Pretty blossoms on our neighbors tree. They reach over the fence and brighten up our yard.
As I was taking down the Valentine's Day decorations, I was thinking of what to put up to brighten up our house and celebrate the change in seasons. Awhile ago I saw a really cute picture of a wreath using fabric scraps and a picture frame. I thought it would be fun to give that idea a try with the girls. This is what we came up with.

We really like it. It's a lot of color for this monochromatic mama. Usually I go for the subtle natural colors: browns, tans, soft greens, etc. But this decoration just screams spring to me, and really brightens up our living room. I guess it's not so much a wreath as it is a wall hanging. I thought of putting it on the door, but didn't have a good way to hang it on there. I may still put it there, but for now, it hangs on our living room wall...and I like it!

It was pretty easy to assemble. The girls and I spent an afternoon (nap time) putting it all together. Here's a quick step by step of what we did.


We used a picture frame, some buttons, baker's twine, and springy fabric for our wreath. We also printed out a Bible verse, Psalm 16:11 "You make known to me the path of life; in your presence there is fullness of joy...", and a little Welcome Spring sign.

Cut your fabric into strips that are long enough to tie around the frame in a knot and have a little tail and are about  1-2 inches wide. Then start tying. We tied along the bottom and right side of the frame only, but you can do whatever you want!




I think I've said it here before, but, I love watching my children's hands as they work. There is just something about their little hands working, whether it be coloring, drawing, crafting...anything, that  I just really love.

After the scraps are tied to your liking, take a funny frame picture!

Ok, that's optional. But they're cute :)
Trim off the super long pieces of fabric so everything is about the same length.
Now you can glue your buttons on in any way you please. This is why we only tied the fabric around the bottom and right side of the frame. We used a hot glue gun for our gluing purposes.


Next, I printed out the verse and the spring sign and glued them onto some card stock. Then I punched a hole on the sides of the verse, strung some baker's twine through those holes and tied it to the sides of the frame. I tied some more baker's twine to the top of the frame to make a hanger. Then I attached the Welcome Spring sign with some tape, and voila! Spring wreath complete!



I hope you all are enjoying this lovely Monday! Blessings :)

3 comments:

  1. what a fun project, and looks so spring like :-) love it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
  2. Thanks! It was fun....the girls really liked it. Sophia especially because it got her out of nap time:)

    ReplyDelete