Wednesday, March 27, 2013

Spring T-Shirt Dresses

Hello again everyone! This poor blog....I've been in kind of a blogging slump lately. But, we're back with a fun addition to spruce up your little girl's spring wardrobe!!

Once you have your simple skirt pattern made and cut out, these dresses are a breeze to put together. I completed both of these dresses (with the exception of the ribbon around the middle) in one afternoon. That's cutting out, sewing, and hemming.

What you need:

*A T-shirt. We used shirts that were a little too short but still fit everywhere else.
*Skirt. I used a circle skirt pattern and cut it out. (Link to pattern below)
*Sewing machine and thread


I used this CIRCLE SKIRT tutorial from Dana at MADE. She gives a great tutorial on how to make your own circle skirt pattern. I am no good at measuring and cutting...seriously...so, SO bad! But Dana does a great job of explaining exactly what you need to measure and exactly how that translates onto paper for a pattern. Perfect!

If you are not wanting a circle skirt, here is a SIMPLE SKIRT tutorial from Dana that could work for this dress also.

Either way, all we are doing is cutting out the skirt portion and sewing it onto the bottom of a T-shirt. We're not even putting any elastic in or anything...really, this is so easy!

Put the T-shirt on your little girl and mark where you want the waist of the dress to fall. I just cut off the bottom hem of the shirt on both girls and that made the waist of the finished dress right at their waist line. If you wanted, you could do a drop waist look and not cut off any part of the shirt. Then the skirt would hang lower, giving it a kind of 1920's, flapper feel...which would be adorable! :)

After you get your shirt to the correct length, pin the bottom edge of it to the inside, top edge of the skirt.



What I did was flip the skirt inside out and fed the t-shirt, right side in, into the top hole of it. Then, I lined up the edges and pinned them all the way around.

This is what the underside looks like:



After it is pinned all the way around, nice and secure, sew along the edge. Then, turn it right side in and hem it to your desired length.

When I completed the dress I wanted to add something a little fancy. So, I sewed ribbon at the waist lines of both of the dresses. I don't think I would suggest doing this, as the dress loses its "give" afterwards. It makes it a little tough for the girls to get the dress off on their own. Next time, I'll either tack  a tie on to the front, or just leave it plain.

I hope this post gives you an idea of how to put this type of dress together. If anyone has any questions, please feel free to leave them in the comments area, and I will get back to you! :) Have a wonderful day!!


I am linking this post up to the RAISING HOMEMAKERS blog! Go check out some of the great posts today!!

1 comment:

  1. So cute! I found this through the Raising Homemakers link up and love the idea! I actually have lots of old dresses from my immodest high school days that I've saved to make cute skirts or dressed for my little girls. I think I could use them with your idea in place of the circle skirt.

    ReplyDelete