Thursday, January 17, 2013

Chewy Granola Bars

 Do your children ever come to you and ask you for a snack...plead with your for a snack...and you think...I have NO idea what to get you right now. Well, look no further...I think I have your new go-to snack option right here!

I've been really inspired by Crystal over at Money Saving Mom. This week I have made a 7-day menu planner with her free menu plan PDF. She has ones that go up to 2 weeks I think, and all of them are free. She also posts her menu plans for the week on the blog, which is incredibly helpful and inspiring! It has been so nice knowing that breakfast, lunch, SNACKS, and dinner are all planned out and ready to go. All I need to do is prepare them. Menu planning has always been tough for me. I seem to get stuck in ruts of the same ole same ole all the time. Having fresh ideas has been a blessing to me for sure!

So, onto today's post! One of her snack options for one week was this delicious sounding Chewy Granola Bar recipe. So, today, we tried it! And boy oh boy is it good!


Chewy No-Bake Granola Bars

Makes 24 bars (9″x13″ pan)
INGREDIENTS:
  • 2 ½ cups Rice Krispies (if you want to make these healthier, you can use plain puffed rice cereal)
  • 1 ¾ cups quick oats (regular rolled oats work too)
  • ¼ cup wheat germ (or ground flax seed, wheat bran, or additional oats)
  • ½ cup additional mix-in ingredients, optional (i.e. shredded coconut, chopped nuts, raisins or other dried fruit, sesame or sunflower seeds, etc.)
  • ½ cup honey
  • ½ cup brown sugar (or sucanat)
  • ¼ teaspoon salt
  • 2/3 cup peanut butter
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
  • ½ cup chocolate chips
DIRECTIONS:
  • Combine first 4 dry ingredients in a bowl.
  • In a saucepan, mix the honey, brown sugar and salt. Over medium-low heat, stir until the mixture comes to a complete boil for 30-60 seconds.
  • Remove from heat and stir in the peanut butter and vanilla until smooth.
  • Pour over the dry ingredients and mix well.
  • Let cool for 5-10 minutes before mixing in the chocolate chips.
  • Press into a greased 9×13 pan and let cool before cutting into bars.
These freeze well!!

(Recipe courtesy of Money Saving Mom )

This was a great recipe for the littles to help out with. Lots of dumping in and mixing around.



We chose to use coconut flakes and dried cranberries as our mix-ins. And chocolate chips...can't forget the chocolate chips!

My oh my are these delicious!! The kids gobbled them up! I think I added a little too much of the coconut flakes, so ours turned out a little more crumbly than they should have, but it doesn't change the taste, and the kids don't mind the crumble. We will definitely be keeping these in the snack rotation!

No comments:

Post a Comment