Thursday, December 6, 2012

Christmastime Bible Reading

My husband and I really like to make sure to bring the focus from the hustle and bustle, and cookies and candies, and lights and presents of Christmas time back onto the greatest gift this world has ever known...Jesus. Now, we love all of the bustle and lights and goodies and such, and have them all, and enjoy them all!! It's important to grow family bonds and make sweet memories with our children. But it is also important to remember, truly remember, all year long, what this season is celebrated for. So, here are a couple of things we have found to bring our focus back onto our wonderful, gracious, merciful Savior.

My husband and I have been talking about what to go through during our family worship this Christmas time, and we found a book, through a friend's recommendation,  that we have been really enjoying so far. It is called Behold, the Lamb of God by Russ Ramsey. So far we have really loved the daily readings. It is a little bit over the little ones comprehension, but my husband really does a great job at bringing the truths down to their level, and we go away feeling like they have learned a little bit more of the story of the Bible and Jesus' birth.


I also do a small devotion time in the mornings with the children. I found an advent daily Bible reading chart on Pinterest (I feel like I'm always saying that phrase!), and we have been going through that. It is really wonderful because the selections aren't too long, which is helpful with the younger children, but it is still something meaningful to start our day off with the right focus at this time of year. HERE IS A LINK to that Bible reading chart on my "Christmas time is here..." pinboard.

We also like to play with a small nativity set and act out the different things that happened...the angel coming to Mary, the couple coming to the stable, the shepherds coming to worship, the wisemen searching for the babe. That is a great interactive way to bring the story of Jesus' birth to life for the little ones.

I hope some of these ideas are helpful to you. Enjoy this season and the true Reason for it! 

No comments:

Post a Comment