Friday, November 9, 2012

Three Hours

Today, my children played one thing for three hours. THREE. HOURS. They didn't bicker or argue. They shared and used lovely manners. Do you want to know what it was that held them captivated for three hours???  I thought you would! :)

A good friend of mine gave me her tried and true playdough recipe. We are in for some chilly and rainy days here in the Bay Area, so I knew we needed to have some kind of fun and new activity to do during the day. My sweet friend texted me her recipe and suggested putting glitter in it. I remembered seeing a "Snow Dough" recipe on Pinterest that put clear glitter into the dough and thought, oh how fun! Then I thought, to make it even more wintery (I know it's Fall) and holiday-ish, why not add some peppermint! And voila! The creation of Peppermint Sparkle Dough!

Peppermint Sparkle Playdough
2 C flour
2 T oil ( I used olive oil)
1/2 C salt (regular old iodized salt)
2 T cream of tartar
up to 2 C boiling water ( I put in 1 1/2 C at first and then added a bit more as needed. I did not use the full 2 C)
1 tsp. Peppermint extract (add more if you think you need more)
glitter



Mix flour, salt, cream of tartar, and oil in a large mixing bowl. Add the boiling water and  peppermint. Stir continuously until it becomes a sticky, combined dough. Allow it to cool, then knead until stickiness is gone. During the kneading, add in the glitter. I added some, kneaded a bit, added some more, and kneaded some more until I was happy with the glitter content. :) Store in an airtight container when your children are finished thoroughly enjoying themselves!



Emma commented on how easy the dough was to roll out and make shapes with. She said it reminds her of sugar cookie dough. The kids kept saying, "This makes me in the mood for real cookies!" It made me want some real cookies too!


Complete bliss! He was so proud of himself for cutting:)

Yummy cookies!!

Perfect placement!


I've never made homemade playdough before, and had a great first experience! I won't use any other recipe...why change when you've found a winner, right?!



You could also add in food coloring if you like, or cinnamon and nutmeg for a spicy aroma. Endless possibilities, and countless hours of imaginative play!

1 comment:

  1. I've been making this recipe for many years with one difference. My recipe calls for mixing all the ingredients together in a heavy pot and then cooking it over medium heat until it's too thick to stir (using a heavy-duty spoon). Then you dump the hot mass out on a counter or table and knead until it's smooth and lovely. I always use food coloring. This stuff keeps for months if you're careful to keep it in an airtight Ziploc bag or other container. I have accumulated a huge collection of rolling pins and other paraphernalia to use with it. Not long ago we had a bunch of grandkids from 4 to 13 playing with it for hours. Good stuff.

    ReplyDelete