Thursday, November 1, 2012

"Give Thanks" Garland

Happy November 1st to you all! Today I am thankful for the excitement and wonder that I was able to witness in my children last night. We went to our church Harvest Party, and it was a blast! The kids loved dressing up and playing all of the games and getting their faces painted, and just being kids! What a fun time!






Little brother was cranky and didn't really want to keep his sheriff's vest on:)




Now, onto today's post. We had been collecting toilet paper rolls for awhile. I knew I wanted to do something with them, but just not quite sure what. Then one day, I thought it would be fun to paint them, cut them, string them on some jute twine, and make a garland. So, that is what we did!

Here is a supply list for you!

A number of toilet paper rolls. We used 9. Each child painted 3.
Paint
Glitter
Glue
Paint brushes
Yarn, twine, or string. We used jute twine which is thicker than regular twine.
Thanksgiving greeting sign of your choice

First, paint your toilet paper rolls. We chose Thanksgiving colors. Each child painted 2 rolls with paint, and the third they painted with glue, and then rolled in some glitter.




Glitter fingers, and mommy feet :)

Messy glitter hands!


 When the rolls are painted to your satisfaction, let them dry. :)

All the pretty rolls lined up in a row!
It was really interesting to see how much of a perfectionist Sophia (4) is. I have known that she is particular, but doing this project really made me realize she likes things perfect. And now that I'm more aware of it, I'm noticing it in other areas of her life as well. She has been learning how to write numbers and gets very upset when she doesn't make the strokes correctly. Anyway, side note, but very interesting to me. :)

When your rolls are finished drying, cut them into 1/2 inch circles.

They'll be a little bit of an oval shape, so just bend them the other way a bit and they'll turn back into a circle for you.




 Next, make a little "Give Thanks" or "Thanksgiving" sign to place in the middle of your garland. I found mine online and printed it off. You can search 'Free Thanksgiving Printables' in Google. There is a huge selection to choose from! The one I printed off is actually a free embroidery pattern.  If you would like to use this one, you can go HERE and print it off. Thank you Creative Kismet!

I printed the pattern onto paper and then traced and filled the picture in with markers. Then, I cut it out and glued it onto a piece of cardstock so it wouldn't be so flimsy. Then, I cut the cardstock around the paper, but left a bit of the orange edge. I hole punched two holes at the top of the sign and ran some jute loops through.

Now, measure a length of your string. I measured our front window since that is where we would be hanging the garland. I placed the Give Thanks sign in the middle of the string, and the children began stringing on their painted/glittered circles from either end. There was no rhyme or reason, no pattern, just random stringing.

Emma helping Elijah string the circles on.

Sophia and mommy working together.

And there you have it! We plan on making one with Christmas colors and a Christmas greeting with the remainder of our toilet paper rolls. I'll admit, this isn't the most glamorous garland in the world, but the children were able to do everything except printing out the sign, and they even picked out which sign we would use. Now, they can look up at our living room window and know they made that sweet little Thanksgiving garland...and I love that!

Have a wonderful week!

3 comments:

  1. Hi Jules, and kiddies! Love your Give thanks Garland. very pretty! XX

    Nana

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Nana! :) It's a festive little addition to our living room!

      Delete