Saturday, October 20, 2012

Caramel Apple Popcorn

This recipe idea came about completely by mistake...but I'm so thankful it did!

We got the October issue of Martha Stewart Living and on the cover is a caramel apple and a little cone of caramel corn. There is a little caption that says something about livening up caramel apples and caramel corn. Well, when I read it I thought it was a recipe for Caramel Apple Popcorn. My first reaction was, "YES! Why have I never thought of that?!?!" Then I exclaimed to the kids that we needed to make this popcorn, which, of course, was met with gleeful shouts of  "Yes please!" "I love popcorn!" etc.




I turned to the page indicated on the cover to turn to, and all it said was, paraphrased, "Add some cashews and a drizzle of white chocolate to liven up your caramel corn and put a dash of sea salt around your caramel apples....". I decided to go back and re-read the cover, and realized I had been quite mistaken.

Emma was convinced that we had a good idea, so we went with it. And we're sharing it with you!

Caramel Apple Popcorn

15 Cups popped corn ( 9 T kernels )
1 C brown sugar
1 stick of butter
1/4 C honey or pure maple syrup
1/2 tsp. salt
1/2 C chopped dried apples
1/2 tsp. cinnamon
1/2 tsp. baking soda

Heat oven to 200*. Place popcorn into a roasting pan. In a sauce pan, over medium, heat sugar, butter, honey or maple syrup, salt, apples, and cinnamon; stirring occasionally, until bubbly around edges.  Continue cooking over medium heat for 5 minutes.  Remove from heat and stir in the baking soda until foamy. Pour over popcorn and stir until evenly coated. Bake for 1 hour, stirring every 15 minutes. Remove from oven and let cool.

We just used these apple rings from Trader Joe's.

And actually, we made two batches, one with cinnamon and one without. Hands down, the cinnamon is the favorite! But, it's still really good without it. The apple is a nice little addition to the caramel corn. Next time I may try using fresh apples, I'm curious how it would turn out.

Stirring, stirring, stirring.

When we made it, we sprinkled the apples over the popcorn after we put the sauce on. This proved a little tricky trying to get the apples evenly distributed. So, I think putting the apples into the sauce would work a lot better.

Ready for the oven.

It was so much fun creating this recipe with my daughter. The whole family loves this popcorn!!

Enjoy!

2 comments:

  1. This sounds yummy, especially for a fall day. I think I'm going to give it a try some day soon!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Okay, that sounds good!!! I am going to have try it out.

    ReplyDelete