Wednesday, September 19, 2012

Art Journals : Paper Mosaics

Our project for over the summer were Art Journals. They were a lot of fun to make! Art journals are great projects to do with children of all ages. My kids ages are 2, 4, and 7 (well, 10 months also, but he was only interested in eating the paper!) and I found I could scale the project down for the younger ones while maintaining the level of fun and creativity needed to keep Emma's attention.

I did a little research on art journals and found that some people buy really nice sketchbook type things for their journals, like this.
We used three ring binders and computer paper. I would suggest using a sketchbook if you could. The paper in the three ring binders tore out easily, and it was kind of a pain hole punching each page.  But, it's what we had on hand at the time, and worked just fine.

One of the first pages we did was a Paper Mosaic. It is exactly what it sounds like too. Very very easy, and SO much fun!

Here's what you'll need:
Assorted colors of paper ripped into pieces
An image printed from the computer, or a coloring book page.
Glue

We did this journal page on the 4th of July, so I printed a picture of George Washington for the kids to turn into a mosaic. I made sure the picture didn't have too much detail, as it would be covered up anyway by the paper.

I don't have step by step pictures of this. But I do have a picture of the finished product. So I'll show you that in a minute.

We started by ripping up pieces of colored paper into smaller pieces. Not teeny tiny pieces, but not huge ones either. Easy enough for clumsy toddler fingers to be able to get hold of and glue. This is a good use of your scrap paper pile!:)

After our paper was ripped up they started gluing. I told them to leave his face clear and they could color it in, but to glue their paper pieces on his hair and clothes. I made sure to have different shades and textures of paper. This gave the pictures a really neat mosaic quality.



Emma and Sophia completed this project with no help from me, but Elijah needed a little assistance with the glue.  I would put the glue down and he would put the paper down.

This project is fun if you want to switch up just plain old coloring in coloring books. I don't know about your kids, buy mine tend to lose interest in things if you do them the same old way all the time. They love fresh and fun new perspectives! Paper mosaics is great for just that!

If you have decided on using a sketchbook for your art journal, you could always complete this project on a separate sheet of paper and then glue it into your sketchbook. I guess this is one of the plus sides of using a three ring binder.:)

THIS blog is where I first got the idea of making art journals. She has tons of other great ideas as well!
I love her blog and have had many an inspiration while reading there!

I hope your day is wonderful! Enjoy paper mosaics!!

No comments:

Post a Comment