Wednesday, August 29, 2012

Peanut Butter Cups

If you stick around this blog long enough, you'll learn that we love treats.  Cookies, cakes, pies, ice cream...yep, all that healthy stuff:)

However, we have stopped eating refined sugars and processed foods, and have really tried to 'eat clean', as the term goes. Meaning, to the best of my ability and as budget allows, we eat real food. Raw, natural, organic, real food. For awhile, I mourned.  I missed my yummy flavored coffee creamers, my ever so tasty cheesy chips, my peanut butter cups.

Enter Pinterest! That lovely internet pinboard, where I can get lost in other people's creations for an hour.  There were so many people with the same mindset as me, but instead of mourning their losses, they were coming up with tasty solutions! Experimenting! Hooray!!

These peanut butter cups make me so happy!! They aren't exactly like the ones you buy in the candy aisle at the grocery store. That's because they are made with real food. Unrefined sugars.  Oils that are not hydrogenated. Thank you Pinterest!

I have made a few adjustments to this recipe...so HERE is a link to the blog I got the recipe from.  And here is our recipe and some pictures!

Of course, I have one of my trusty kitchen assistants with me on this mission! Emma!

Peanut Butter Cups

Peanut Butter Layer
3/4 cup natural salted peanut butter (no added sugars or oils – I use Trader Joe’s)
1/4 cup coconut oil or real butter
2 tbsp of raw honey or pure maple syrup
1/2 tsp. vanilla

Mix these ingredients together.  Pour mixture into mini muffin tins.  I have also used regular muffin tins with cutesie little cupcake liners.  Obviously you don't get as many PB cups this way, but they are super cute:)

                             Emma pouring the peanut butter layer.

Place this layer in the freezer while you begin the chocolate layer.

Chocolate Layer

2 tbsp coconut oil
2 tbsp real butter
2 tbsp unsweetened cocoa
2 tbsp raw honey or pure maple syrup
1 tsp. vanilla

Melt the coconut oil and butter over low heat.  Remove from heat and add in the cocoa powder, sweetener of choice, and vanilla. Stir til smooth.


                    Emma snapped a quick picture of me pouring the chocolate layer. Yum!



Remove the peanut butter layer from the freezer and pour the chocolate layer over top. Place back in the freezer until firm. I recommend storing these in the freezer...they soften up a fair bit when they are room temp.

Daddy sure like them for his birthday treat!





Actually, everyone did!

After making these a few times, we've decided we like them a bit better using all butter instead of the coconut oil.  The flavor of coconut oil is a bit overpowering.  It's a difficult decision for me though, because coconut oil is so good for you! So, the last time we made these, we added it into the peanut butter layer, and left it out of the chocolate.  I think next time I'll do the reverse.


 Either way, these are tasty little treats that the kids can help you make, and ones that you can feel good about giving them!!

No comments:

Post a Comment